Mr. Hinton provides expert testimony and summary witness testimony in securities and finance litigation, enforcement matters involving trading abuse, and in cases involving alleged white collar crime.
Mr. Hinton’s recent white collar cases include allegations of insider trading, sanctions evasion, and investment fraud involving cryptocurrency and the tracing of ICO proceeds via blockchain transactions. He regularly employs data analytics and network analysis in white collar investigations to trace funds and to assess allegedly collusive communications.
Some examples of specific case experience include:
- Provided testimony for the Oversight Board of Puerto Rico to trace property pledged as the source of disputed collateral for $3 billion of bonds issued by ERS, Puerto Rico’s public pension administration;
- In US v. Donald Blakstad, provided trial testimony on the use of insider trading proceeds and misappropriation and misuse of investor funds;
- Provided analysis of misrepresentations in connection with an unregistered cryptocurrency purported to be backed by equity interests;
- Served as an expert on bondholder class action damages allegedly caused by misleading statements and omissions concerning the restructuring of BTA bank in Atlantica Holdings, Inc. et al v. BTA Bank JSC;
- In US v. Rezza Zarab and US v. Atilla Hakan, served as a summary witness on breach of sanctions against Iran through money laundering scheme, and tracing of transactions;
- Provided economic analysis in defense of alleged front-running in the US v. Bogucki criminal case on FX options trade execution; and
- In US v. Gary Hirst, provided trial testimony on the mechanics of a financial fraud pump and dump scheme, involving matched trading and tracing of proceeds.
Mr. Hinton also testifies in mass tort bankruptcies and litigation on the valuation and forecasting of tort claim liabilities. His prior professional experience includes project finance at the London investment bank Morgan Grenfell.
Paul is on the Board of GallopNYC, an organization that offers therapeutic horsemanship programs to children and adults with disabilities and special needs. Additional information about the organization and Paul’s involvement is available in this video.